Friday, April 24, 2009

Something More

I love how life forces bring things to us in a way we least expect but are most in need of. I have been driving C back and forth, 2 hours each way, once a week for a treatment group. It's all about Tic Management and it is the hardest and the best thing we have done in a long time. Last week we also had a private meeting with the Psychologist about his OCD. The Psychologist is also the one running the Tic Management group. Before we began speaking of the OCD he had concerns about C's "activity level" at group and wanted to talk about effectively managing ADHD symptoms before we could even begin to tackle Tics or OCD - or anything really. I got where he was coming from - completely. Put C in a group situation, new people, new room and it is not going to be pretty and it is definately far from calm and orderly. That is who he is. I know it, our family and friends know it but I forget that others don't know it. I forget that they will see his frenetic behaviour and think "ADHD" when in fact it is not. I know it is not. The ADHD he has is primarily innattentive and if you could see him at home, school or familiar places you would see a much calmer and attentive boy - the ADHD meds work for what they are supposed to work for. This, what the Psychologist saw at group, is exactly part of what I am searching for more answers about as I wrote about here and here.

At the end of our private session the Psychologist looked at me and said something to the effect of "I now understand what you were trying to tell me. This isn't ADHD - it's something more".

Yes - something more.

No comments:

Post a Comment