Sunday, May 02, 2010

Happy Gotcha Day - 8 Amazing Years


Dear Sweet Boy

8 years ago we walked into Nana & Papa's house filled with trepidation,excitement, hope and probably some pure terror mixed in there. We had spent many hours talking about you, listening to others talk about you, reading about you and staring at pictures. Nothing could have prepared us for that moment when you stepped out of the shadows and walked toward us - your hands eagerly presenting us with a picture you had painted just that morning. You were the one to take the first step that day and we just followed your lead. Soaking up whatever you were prepared to share with us that day and the many days following.

That is how these 8 years have come to pass - we follow your lead. We are in awe of the young man you are becoming. We never could have guessed where the next 8 years would have taken us . . . but then who can in life?

I know life isn't easy for you . . . I often wish I could lighten the load that you have been chosen to bear. I'd like to think that sometimes I can - when we walk this path together. Sometimes I piggy back you but you, my son, are always leading the way.

I am in awe of you and I thank God everyday for allowing me the honour of being your mom. I am a better person and my life is so much fuller and rewarding with you in it. You have taught me so much about perseverance, forgiveness, starting new each day and that control is often an illusion. You have taught me that it doesn't matter what strangers think - surrounding yourself with people who light up when you enter a room - that's what life is all about. You have brought so much laughter and joy and wide eyed innocence to our family.

I have said it before and I will say it again. You, my beautiful boy, are my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment