Friday, September 05, 2008

Books in cages

The week before school started I made arrangements to take C into the school to meet his new teacher and see his class. Being in Grade 5 this year means he is on "the big kid" side of the school. Apparently this is a VERY big deal to C and he seems quite excited. He also was getting apprehensive about never having met his teacher and not knowing what to expect. His teacher, Ms. D., has taught at the school before but had been home with her baby. The day of the visit C was excited to go, I was nervous. I stayed up late the night before compiling a summary of main points about C and some information about his Tourette's and associated conditions. Since the EA's were also going to be new to him I had him help me put together a list of "Do's" and "Don'ts" such as "When I am frustrated, don't touch me" and "give me two choices - never take my choices away". When we got to the school, C happily greeted everyone who, in turn, remarked (as they do every year) about how much he has grown. He made sure to remind everyone that he is going to Grade 5 this year. The principal walked us down to C's class and introduced us to his new teacher. After all his apprehension about the teacher and class, he barely gave her a second look after the intro's and he wasn't interested in taking his picture with her as I thought he would be. Nope, he became fixated on what he termed the "book cage"

he got such a kick out of this corner of the room. I assume it is the "reading corner" and I think he was encouraged and relieved to see that the teacher has a space the kids could just hang out in, complete with a special chair and a bunch of cushions. I think it's going to be a good year.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Isn't it fun to see what things our kids find exciting/interesting? I find that my Little Man is so unpredictable in his excitement. It's funny...

    ReplyDelete