Wednesday, June 08, 2011

My Amazing Man

Part of my commitment to myself and to my family is to do better taking care of myself. I feel weird just even typing that as I used to always roll my eyes when people would say that "But hon, you have to do things to take care of you!" and I would smile politely and say "I know, I know" and then walk away rolling my eyes saying "As if . . . ".

But if I learned anything last year - it's that I absolutely must find ways to take care of myself. So today I had an appointment and while I was there I shut my phone off. Yup, shut it off. Because, really, I NEEDED that therapy appointment and even if the phone rang, what would I do?? Walk out of an exceptionally expensive and important appointment to race accross town to do what exactly?? And truth be told I haven't had a call from the school (other than for legitimate illness) in a very long time.

I guess we were overdue.

At the end of my appointment I looked at my phone. 2 missed calls. From the school. Funny thing was though, I didn't panic. My stomach didn't bottom out. I thought to myself " I sure hope they called A".  A further look at my phone told me that they had and he had messaged me to say that he knew I was at my appointment (have to LOVE that synchronized Outlook calendar on our Blackberry's) and he was heading to the school.

All this began occurring at 9:30. By the time I got home at 10:30 C was settled at home with a worker and A was on his way back to work. Everyone was calm. C had balked at doing class work (probably partly the work, partly the heat and partly the anticipation of a HUGE purchase that he made for himself that was due to be delivered today - more on that later). Anyhow, instead of blowing up in class he removed himself to the washroom. The call from the school was in case he blew completely. Instead he managed to pull himself together and get back to class for a few minutes before A even got home.

On my drive home though I admit I worried how A would react. Would he be frustrated or even angry at the wasted drive home in the middle of his work day? Instead I heard how he discussed it calmly with our boy and made sure to congratulate him on his ability to work it through and go back to class.

He's amazing that man of mine.

1 comment:

  1. That is excellent. C is gaining the oping skills that we as parents try so hard to teach them. :) Just found your blog through your comment on mine. It is great to hear that another mom feels similar. It has been a tough start to the year but I think I feel a little better knowing that I am not on this journey of discovery by myself. I hope you will follow me through my journey and I am honored to follow yours as well. Through the struggles, heartache and most of all the blessings.

    ReplyDelete